2020 Publications of Interest
C-MD - Molecular Diagnostics
- Payne DA, Russomando G, Linder MW, Baluchova K, Ashavaid T, Steimer W, Ahmad-Nejad P, and the IFCC Committee for Molecular Diagnostics (C-MD). External Quality Assessment (EQA) and Alternative Assessment Procedures (AAP) in Molecular Diagnostics: Findings of an International Survey. Clin Chem Lab Med 2021; 59(2): 301–306.https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2020-0101
Ahmad-Nejad P, Ashavaid T, Vacaflores Salinas A, Huggett J, Harris K, Linder MW, Baluchova K, Steimer W, Payne DA; IFCC Committee for Molecular Diagnostics (C-MD). Current and Future Challenges in Quality Assurance in Molecular Diagnostics. In revision, submitted to CCA
C-TLM - Traceability in Laboratory Medicine
The results of RELA2020 are published on the website (http://www.dgkl-rfb.de:81).
C-RIDL - Reference Intervals and Decision Limits
- The Chair, Yesim Ozarda, was one of the co-author in a related-review article that has been published in Adv.Lab. Med: Big data and reference intervals: rationale, current practices, harmonization and standardization prerequisites and future perspectives of indirect determination of reference intervals using routine data. https://doi.org/10.1515/almed-2020-0034 | Published online: 07 Aug 2020.
C-STFT - Standardization of Thyroid Function Tests
- Vesper HW, Van Uytfanghe K, Hishinuma A, Raverot V, Patru MM, Danilenko U, van Herwaarden T, Shimizu E. Implementing reference systems for thyroid function tests – A collaborative effort. In revision, submitted to CCA.
- Ribera A, Zhang L, Dabbs-Brown A, Sugahara O, Poynter K, Van Uytfanghe K, Shimizu E, van Herwaarden T, Botelho JC, Danilenko U, Vesper HW. Development of equilibrium dialysis ID-UPLC-MS/MS candidate reference measurement procedure for free thyroxine in human serum. In preparation.
- Standard Operating Procedure “Reference Measurement Procedure for Determination of Free Thyroxine in Human Serum by Equilibrium Dialysis Isotope Dilution-liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (ID LC-MS/MS)“. In preparation.
- Ribera A, Ribeiro CMB, Poynter K, Botelho JC, Van Uytfanghe K, Danilenko U, Vesper HW. Preanalytical considerations for free thyroxine and triiodothyronine assays. In preparation.
C-HAT - Harmonization of Autoimmune Tests
- Monogioudi E, Martos, G, Sheldon J, Meroni PL, Trapmann S, Zegers I. Development of a candidate certified reference material for anti-beta 2 glycoprotein I IgG – commutability studies, Clin Chem Lab Med 2021; 59(2): 325–332
C-BM - Bone Metabolism
- Cavalier E, Lukas P, Bottani M, Aarsand AK, Ceriotti F, Coşkun A, Díaz-Garzón J, Fernández-Calle P, Guerra E, Locatelli M, Sandberg S, Carobene A; European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine Working Group on Biological Variation and IOF-IFCC Committee on Bone Metabolism. European Biological Variation Study (EuBIVAS): within- and between-subject biological variation estimates of β-CTX, PINP, osteocalcin, intact-FGF 23 and uCuP-MGP - a cooperation between the EFLM Working Group on Biological Variation and the International Osteoporosis Foundation-International Federation of Clinical Chemistry Committee on Bone Metabolism. Osteoporos Int. 2020 Aug;31(8):1461-1470. doi: 10.1007/s00198-020-05362-8. Epub 2020 Apr 8. PMID: 32270253.
- Vasikaran SD, Bhattoa HP, Eastell R, Heijboer AC, Jørgensen NR, Makris K, Ulmer C, Kanis JA, Cooper C, Silverman S, Cavalier E. Harmonization of commercial assays for PINP; the way forward. Osteoporos Int. 2020 Mar;31(3):409-412. doi: 10.1007/s00198-020-05310-6.
- Cavalier E, Vasikaran S, Bhattoa HP, Heijboer AC, Makris K, Ulmer CZ. The path to the standardization of PTH: Is this a realistic possibility? a position paper of the IFCC C-BM. Clin Chim Acta 2021 Apr; 515:44-51. doi: 10.1016/j.cca.2020.12.022. Epub 2021 Jan 4.
WG-HbA2 - Standardisation of Hemoglobin A2 - Joint Working Group with ICSH (International Council for Standardization in Haematology)
- Mosca A, Paleari R, Harteveld CL, on behalf of the IFCC ICSH Joint Working Group for standardization of HbA2. A roadmap for the standardization of hemoglobin A2. Clin Chim Acta 2021; 512:185-90, doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2020.11.008
WG-CMT - Commutability in Metrological Traceability
- Miller WG, Budd J, Greenberg N, Weykamp C, Althaus H, Schimmel H, Panteghini M, Delatour V, Ceriotti F, Keller T, Hawkins D, Burns C, Rej R, Camara JE, MacKenzie F, van der Hagen E, Vesper H, for the IFCC Working Group on Commutability. IFCC Working Group Recommendations for Correction of Bias Caused by Noncommutability of a Certified Reference Material Used in the Calibration Hierarchy of an End-User Measurement Procedure. Clin Chem 2020;66:769-78.
- Miller GW, Greenberg N, Budd J, Delatour V, on behalf of the IFCC Working Group on Commutability in Metrological Traceability. The evolving role of commutability in metrological traceability. Clin Chim Acta 2021; 514: 84-89.
WG-ID - Immunosuppressive Drugs
- Participation of several WG members (Seger, Langman, Kunicki, Pawinski, Wieland, Shipkova) in the preparation of the guidance publication: Bergan S. et al. Mycophenolate Personalized Therapy: Consensus Report by the International Association of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Clinical Toxicology. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, 2021, in press.
WG-APO MS - Apolipoproteins by Mass Spectrometry
- Cobbaert CM, Althaus H, Begcevic Brkovic I, Ceglarek U, Coassin S, Delatour V, Deprez L, Dikaios I, Dittrich J, Hoofnagle AN, Kostner GM, Kronenberg F, Kuklenyik Z, Prinzing U, Vesper HW, Zegers I, Ruhaak LR; IFCC Working Group for Standardization of Apolipoproteins by Mass Spectrometry. Towards an SI-Traceable Reference Measurement System for Seven Serum Apolipoproteins Using Bottom-Up Quantitative Proteomics: Conceptual Approach Enabled by Cross-Disciplinary/Cross-Sector Collaboration., Clin Chem. doi: 10.1093/clinchem/hvaa239. In press.
- Ruhaak LR, Cobbaert CM., Quantifying apolipoprotein(a) in the era of proteoforms and precision medicine, Clin Chim Acta. 2020 Dec;511:260-268. doi: 10.1016/j.cca.2020.10.010.
- A manuscript on the development of a harmonized LC-MS based reference method, including results of the ring trial performed during the first apo(a) commutability study, as well as the fundamental choices made and performance of the method achieved is in preparation and expected to be finalized in Q1 2021.
WG-FIT - Fecal Immunochemical Testing
- Benton SC, Symonds E, Djedovic N, Jones S, Deprez L, Kocna P, Auge JM, on behalf of the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry Faecal Immunochemical Test Working Group (IFCC FIT-WG). Faecal Immunochemical Tests for Haemoglobin: Analytical Challenges and Potential Solutions. In revision, submitted to CCA.
WG-cfDNA - Cell free DNA and related circulating biomarkers
- R. Danesi, Y. M. D. Lo, M. Oellerich, J. Beck, S. Galbiati, M. del Re, E. Lianidou, M. Neumaier, R.H.N. van Schaik – On behalf of the IFCC Working Group cfDNA. What do we need to obtain high quality circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) for routine diagnostic test in oncology? - Practical recommendations on pre-analytical issues by the IFCC workgroup cfDNA. In revision, submitted to CCA.
WG-PCT - Standardization of Procalcitonin assays
- Delatour V, Huynh HH, Boeuf A, Vinh J, Dupuy AM, on behalf of IFCC Working Group on Standardization of Procalcitonin assays. Evaluation of the necessity and the feasibility of the standardization of procalcitonin measurements: Activities of IFCC WG-PCT with involvement of all stakeholders. Clin Chim Acta 2021; 515: 111-121.
- Results of the PCT EQA schemes and an analysis of all published correlation studies are subject to a publication that was submitted to clinical chemistry in Dec. 2020. All EQA providers involved in the study are co-authors of the paper. The article is currently in revision.
- An article describing optimization of the sample preparation of the candidate reference method was submitted to analytical and bioanalytical chemistry in Dec 2020. The paper is currently under review.
- A second article describing the validation of the candidate reference method is under preparation and will be submitted early 2021.
WG-CGM - Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Standardization process of continuous glucose monitoring: traceability and performance. Clin Chim Acta. 2021 Apr;515:5-12. doi: 10.1016/j.cca.2020.12.025. Epub 2021 Jan 9.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring – What should be optimized and considered in the future? Scientific short, submitted to American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), 2020.